Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Message from Middle-earth on ItCanSay

Kia ora tātou! - Hello everyone!
Picture of Ken




Michele Martin's
Web 2.0 Wednesday task was to select a Web 2.0 technology from a list of 100 useful technologies on a College@Home post, 100 Helpful Web Tools for Every Kind of Learner.



It was serendipitous and quite coincidental that Michele posted her Web 2.0 Wednesday task just as I had written a post on technowhelm citing the same web site.

I must admit that I got rather wrapped in some of the technologies. Many are quite technical. I spent a lot of time trying things out.


Facebook was one of the Web 2.0s listed. I already have a Facebook account, so I downloaded one of my zaney mug-shots I had on a Facebook photo-album and put it on this post.

ItCanSay is a technology that converts text into audible speech. It permits it to be saved as a wav or mp3 file. What I liked about the software was its simplicity and ease of use.

My plan was to write a message and upload it to my blog. But the plan had to be re-jigged! Blogger accepts only video files. Not to be outdone I recorded a video file while playing back the wav file and uploaded the resulting mpg to this post. The video is. . . em . . . of our black cat, Boots, stalking a black rat out the back garden - at midnight.



( 8 ) ( 7 ) ( 6 ) ( 5 ) < - other Web2.0Wednesday posts - >> ( 3 ) ( 2 ) ( 1 )

Ka kite anō - Catch ya later

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool, Ken! Were there any problems with getting the software to accurately translate what you wrote? That seems to be the problem I've had on occasion with these kinds of sites.

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Michele!

I have dabbled with this type of software before. Many years ago I downloaded Read Please - also listed on the College@Home post. My children found it a hoot! We all experimented with getting it to pronounce words the right way.

Pronunciation is one of the reasons there are so-called inaccuracies in translation. So to have some control over that we found we had to spell words differently. In my message posted here for instance, the words 'ka kite' had to be replaced with 'ka keetay', because, of course, kite is not pronounced in Te Reo Māori like the word for the flying object.

But you're right. Some of the message sounded a bit garbled to me and must do to others. But that's what my children found so funny!

Ka kite ano